Looking towards Scarborough along the platform at Thornton Dale in LNER days. The coal drops can be seen in the distance with a wagon above them.

Looking down the line, two signals protecting entry to the goods yard can just be made out. The crossing keepers cottage is to the right, just out of the frame.

Thornton Dale Station

Thornton Dale was the first station on the line from Pickering, preceded by a quarter of a mile long and 30ft deep cutting, before crossing Thornton Lane. The village of Thornton Dale had been popular with tourists even before the railway was built and in the early years many used the line to visit.

Immediately east of the main station building were coal drops, the siding to which followed the line of the platform. Underneath the coal drops flowed Thornton Beck, a notable feature of the picturesque village to which the station served. Beyond the coal drops in the goods yard, there were two further sidings.

1883

The first station master of Thornton Dale was Mr Masterman.

1890

Mr William Germaine was station master by 1890, still there in 1891.

1901

Mr Arthur Henry Johnson was station master in 1901, still there in 1911.

1929

Mr Thomas A. Taylor was station master in 1929.

1934

Thornton Dale had received one camping coach, along with Forge Valley station. On the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the L.N.E.R. camping coach venture ended. The camping coach returned to the North Yorkshire Moors area during British Railways times in 1952, but by then the Forge Valley line had closed.

1939

Mr Walter Hollins was station master in 1939. Mr Charles Duck was a signalman living in the railway cottage opposite the station building.

1948

In 1948, Mr John Sleight was station master. He was also in charge of Ebberston Station. Mr Jack F. Layton was a clerk.

Thornton Dale station yard is now the Overbrook Caravan Park and the station building has been converted to holiday accommodation. Very little has changed to the station building itself apart from a few minor modifications. A house of the similar outline as the station building has been built on top of the coal cells.

More photos

After closure