Brompton Carr crossing keepers cottage viewed from the south in May 2006.

Brompton Carr Crossing

Brompton Carr gatehouse, sometimes referred to as "Low Hall" in relation to the much larger property nearby was located just west of Sawdon Station. The railway crossed the road on the north side of the building.

Brompton Carr was demolished in 2013 to make way for a new property.


Mr Edwin J. Pearce was a platelayer at Brompton Carr Crossing in 1891 and still there in 1901. It is thought that by 1911 he had moved to the next gate house along opposite Sawdon Station.


In 1911 Mr Joseph Walker was recorded as the platelayer living at "No.1 Low Hall Crossing", which is thought to be Brompton Carr.


By 1939 Mr John W Coultas was platelayer at "Low Hall Gatehouse".