Ings Lane crossing in May 2009 looking north east.

Ings Lane Crossing

Ings Lane Crossing was south east of Ebberston village, with Ebberston crossing around half a mile to the west and Foulbridge Lane marking the approach to Snainton Station about three quarters of a mile to the east.

The railway crossed the lane on the north side of the building.

Other than extensions added, relatively little has changed in the external appearance of this gate house since closure.

1891

Mr Henry Widd was a platelayer at Ings Lane Gatehouse in 1891. By 1901 he had moved to Broadmires Crossing between Pickering and Thorntondale. He had two other brothers Thompson and Richard who also lived in other crossing keepers cottages working as platelayers on line.

1901

By 1901, Mr Peter Owston was the platelayer living at Ings Lane Gatehouse. He was still there in 1911.

1939

Eleanor Reed was the crossing keeper at Ings Gatehouse in 1939. Her husband Charles F. Reed was a lengthman for the railway.