The replica overall roof was added three years prior to this view of Pickering Station taken from the headshunt looking north in April 2014.

Pickering Station

Pickering Station survives today as the southern terminus of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. It is located on Park Street on a narrow strip of land next to Pickering Beck. Bridge Street is immediately south of the station where there was a level crossing and signal box. The goods yard was situated between Bridge Street and Hungate. Shunting the yard involved closing the gates to road traffic on Bridge Street due to the confined space.

South of Hungate were coal cells on the west side of the line and a single road engine shed to the right. The shed was originally 43ft long and could house one engine. In 1876, shortly after the opening of the branch from Gilling it was extended to 112ft. The engine shed survives today for commercial use.


Located just north of the present station, the original terminus at Pickering was opened on 26 May 1836 forming the southern terminus of the horse drawn Whitby & Pickering Railway.


After the York & North Midland Railway took over the Whitby & Pickering Line and built a branch from Rillington near Malton to meet at Pickering, a new station was built to accommodate steam locomotives. Opened on 7th July 1845 the present station was designed by GT Andrews with an overall slate roof.


Pickering engine shed was built shortly after the York & North Midland Railway took over the line to Whitby.


Pickering became a junction station as of 1st April 1875 when the branch from Kirbymoorside (railway spelling) and Gilling was opened for traffic.


Following opening of the line to Kirbymoorside, the engine shed at Pickering was extended from 43ft to 112ft, allowing for the additional motive power now required.


Two years after the last passenger train on the Forge Valley Railway, the roof was removed in 1952 by British Railways, being decided it would be cheaper to provide canopies.


Pickering engine shed was closed in 1959.


Closure of the station came on Saturday 6th March 1965 when already preserved K4 No.3442 'The Great Marquess' and K1 No.62005 double headed "The Whitby Moors" railtour. Goods traffic continued until 1st July 1966, with a service between Malton and Newbridge Quarry, just north of Pickering.


Fortunately, a group was soon formed to save the line between Pickering to Grosmont. The North Yorkshire Moors Railway was officially opened on 1st May 1973 by HRH the Duchess of Kent and it has grown to be a highly successful tourist attraction over the following decades.


Easter 2011 saw the completion of the overall roof reinstatement, returning the appearance of Pickering Station back to its heyday.

More photos