What appears to be an 0-4-4 ‘Bogie Tank Passenger’ brings a Pickering bound passenger service over the level crossing into Snainton Station.

A group of passengers are waiting on the platform while a member of staff looks towards the camera.

The greenhouse on the Scarborough bound platform can be seen on the left.

Also of note are the sleepers lying in between the tracks. Perhaps the track had just been replaced or is about to be.

Snainton Station

Snainton was the busiest station on the branch, the only one with a passing loop and had two platforms. It also had a greenhouse on the platform, an unusual addition.

A strange ornament at Snainton was a hippopotamus skull, which was presented to the station master at the time, Mr Benjamin FIeldsend who had it mounted on a bracket under the station building canopy. After the line closed in 1950, the skull was presented to the signalman at Ravenscar. It was placed on his garden gate, but after a number of years disappeared.

Either end of the station was marked by a level crossing, with Middle Lane at the east and Foulbridge Lane which had a crossing keepers cottage to the west. Immediately south of the station was a brickyard, which supplied the builders of the line for many of the structures. There were coal drops, a loading bay and a short run round loop for goods facilities.

1882

Mr Benjamin Fieldsend was station master at Snainton from opening until 1922.

1922

Mr R.H. Tindall became station master until rationalisation occurred and the station master at Forge Valley took responsibility for Snainton, along with Sawdon and Wykeham.

1923

Mr A. Hunter was a porter/signalman at Snainton in 1923.

1930

Mr Ernie Megson was a porter/signalman in 1930, still working there in 1941.

1938

Bernard H. Artley was a porter signalman at Snainton from 1938 until closure in 1950.

More photos

After closure