The signal box at Eastgate Crossing in 1980, around 16 years after the tracks had been lifted between Thornton Dale and Mill Lane Junction. This view is looking south.

Eastgate Crossing

Eastgate crossing was originally the end of the short length of double track which diverged from Mill Lane Junction on the mainline from Rillington. This arrangement ended in 1932 when the down line became a siding. The branch to Gilling had a similar arrangement, being double track as far as Goslip Bridge. This was singled in 1924.

There was a small brick signal box, which after closure became a potting shed but had been demolished by 1995.

The crossing itself negotiated the Malton to Pickering main road, now the A169. On the west side was the crossing keepers cottage.