Until 2002 when the property was rebuilt, Wilton Carr was in something of a time warp showing little change from when the Forge Valley Line closed in 1950.

This view was taken in June 1995, looking east from the Cliff Lane. The railway would have been to the right hand side of the building. The North Eastern enamel sign was still on display at the time and the paintwork was British Railways North Eastern regions "oriental blue" that had been applied shortly before the line closed.

Wilton Carr Crossing

Half a mile south of Wilton village, the crossing at Cliff Lane was called Wilton Carr. Approached from the Pickering side, Wilton Carr preceded Ebberston Station by just under a mile.

Deggy Bond lived at Wilton Carr from closure of the line and his mother worked the crossing gates when the line was open. Around 2002 Deggy moved into a rest home in Thornton Dale and the house was rebuilt using the original bricks to a modern design. Until then the building had no mains electricity and the "oriental blue" paintwork applied by British Railways was probably the last example to survive on the line.

Wilton Carr has since become a Caravan Club certified location caravan site, appropriately named "Wilton Gatehouse".

1891

Mr Matthew B. Sellars was platelayer at "Wilton Gate House" in 1891 and still there in 1911. His son "John W Sellars" was recorded as being a porter in 1891, possibly working at nearby Ebberston Station, or as it was named at the time "Wilton Station".

1939

In 1939 Mary E. Postill was the gate keeper at Wilton Carr. Her husband, Harland was recorded as being a permanent way labourer. This family was at Allerston Crossing in 1911.