A view of Forge Valley Station looking west. It can be seen that the large North Eastern Railway enamel station sign was made up of two parts.

Forge Valley Station

Forge Valley station was conveniently located in the village of West Ayton. The River Derwent, which the line crossed shortly east of the station marked the split between East and West Ayton. At the east end of the station was the level crossing over Ings Road and it’s accompanying crossing keepers cottage. The station was named Forge Valley, most likely to avoid confusion with the Great Ayton station also on the North Eastern network near Middlesbrough.

The yard had a goods warehouse, the only one of two on the line and the largest. In addition there were the coal cells found at all stations and a sheep dock. Just west of the station was a timber yard, which had its own short siding.

The ground frame on the platform had nine levers and was covered by a wooden shelter.


Mr George Wellburn, having already served the North Eastern Railway for three years was transferred to Forge Valley as a porter for the opening of the line. He stayed in the same job for 39 years, retiring in 1921. In the 1891 census, he was recorded as living in the "West Ayton Porters Cottage", which was presumably the crossing keepers cottage next to the station.


In 1890 Mr Thomas Laycock was station master at Forge Valley. Still living at the station, he was recorded as a clerk at Forge Valley a year later.


In 1901 Mr George Playforth was station master. He was still there in 1921 and by this date his daughter Hilda was a railway booking clerk at Forge Valley Station.


On 4th January 1934, ex Great Northern Railway six wheeler formerly No.42492 became Camping Coach “CC17” and went to Forge Valley Station. It originally appeared in teak livery, before being repainted into the L.N.E.R. touring stock colours of green and cream around 1935. On the outbreak of World War II in 1939, the L.N.E.R. camping coach venture ended.


Mr Richard H. Tindall was station master at Forge Valley in 1939.


In 1941, Mr Walter Hugman was station master at Forge Valley. Mr George Cotteril was a porter and signalman and Ms Dorothy Couplan was a clerk. Another clerk who worked here from 1941 to 1944 was Margaret Allison.

Mr Jack F. Layton, who retired as station master from Scarborough, started his railway career as a probationary clerk at Forge Valley in 1941. He worked there for around 18 months.

More photos

After closure