A view of Irton Waterworks in May 1996. The coal reception house stood to the right of the two main buildings shown here. The embankment leading to the reception house cut across from left to right in the foreground.

Irton Waterworks

The water treatment works near Irton Village supplies drinking water to Scarborough and nearby communities. It was opened in 1884, just two years after the first train on Forge Valley Line and continues to operate today. The original pumps were driven by beam engines, but a new bore was sunk in 1928 and this was powered by electric pumps.

The distinctive yellow brick buildings stood alongside the Forge Valley Line at Goose Lane where there was a crossing keepers cottage. The waterworks had their own siding that led into a coal reception house which was demolished some time between 1986 and 1996. This was the only siding on the line which was not at a station. Agreement was reached between the water company and the North Eastern Railway on 30th January 1883 for the siding, therefore it was not in situ on opening day of the railway itself.