Sawdon Station and staff during North Eastern Railway times. The size of the North Eastern Railway enamel name board is apparent and the station name can also be made out on the gas lamp.

Sawdon Station

Situated just to the south of the village of Brompton, the station here was named Sawdon, most likely to avoid confusion with another Brompton also on the North Eastern Railway network near Northallerton. The village of Sawdon lay nearly two miles to the north. The station building differed visually to the others on the line in that it only had two chimneys on the main double storey, the western end being that which was missing.

There was a level crossing over Brompton Ings Road with a crossing keepers cottage at the west end of the station. The goods yard included a weighhouse on the north west corner alongside coal cells which had an embankment leading up to them. There were three further sidings, the shortest was for a cattle end dock and another ran alongside a goods warehouse and a one ton crane.

The goods warehouse was constructed to a standard North Eastern Railway design. This building survives, but has been heavily modified and painted grey all over. Some examples of the same design goods warehouse still survive, one being at Staithes on the coast line north of Whitby.

Sawdon station is now refurbished as rooms for holiday accomadation. The yard is separately owned by an engineering company and a large warehouse has been built. The weighbridge and coal cells have all been demolished.

1890

Mr Charles Dunford was station master at Sawdon in 1890 and 1891.

Mr William Preston was an 18 year old porter living in the crossing keepers cottage with his family, including his father Mr Walter Preston who was a platelayer.

1901

Mr John Richardson was station master at Sawdon in 1901 and still there until about 1927.

1939

By 1939 Sawdon no longer had a station master and Mr Alfred T Hart was a porter signalman living in the station building.

More photos

After closure