Railcar at Scarborough Central

Scarborough Station

Scarborough station opened on Monday 7th July 1845, following the completion of the line from York. The first train, consisting of 35 coaches was hauled by two locomotives named 'Hudson' and 'Lion' arriving in Scarborough at 1:35 p.m, having stopped at Castle Howard, Malton and Ganton, taking just over three hours. All the shops closed, and an estimated ten to fifteen thousand spectators saw the arrival of the first train.

The original station building was designed by G.T. Andrews. It had a wrought iron and glazed roof, 348 feet long by 88 feet wide in two spans, and 30 feet from the rails. On the opening day, the station was complete, except for the overall roof and the goods shed in the station yard had not been built.

The main station building included: a large central booking office, superintendent room, 1st class, 2nd class and Ladies waiting rooms, toilets, porters room, storeroom and refreshment room. Above the refreshment room was originally the station masters house, but later became the station hotel with ten bedrooms.

At first there were two platforms connected at the north end, with four tacks in-between them, each track having a pair of turntables, one at each end of the platforms. Gradually as traffic increased modifications were made to the station layout.

To accommodate excursion traffic two new platforms were added in 1883, now known as platforms 1 & 2. Seperate waiting rooms were provided plus more facilities. The station clock was added in about 1884, and was built by Potts of Leeds costing £110.

During the 1890's until 1903, goods traffic was moved from the station yard to Gallows Close, so that more platforms could be provided. The original goods shed, which was next to the station building became platforms 6 to 9. Trains for the Forge Valley line often used these four platforms.

Platform 1A was cut out of platform 1 for easier access to the Whitby line.

An interesting article about Falsgrave Signal box can be found here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/northyorkshire/content/articles/2007/09/24/falsgrav...

Photos of Scarborough Station :