Pickering Engine Shed

Pickering engine shed was designed by G.T. Andrews and built in 1846. It was originally 43ft long to house one engine. In 1876 it was extended to 112ft. The windows in the original section had vertical glazing bars only. The shed was situated immediately south of Hungate Road & signal box and closed in 1959.

On 1st January 1923 four locomotives were allocated to Pickering shed. These were :

NER Class LNER Class Number
1 O G5 1888
2 O G5 2088
3 BTP G6 297
4 59 J22 192

In Later days larger engines such as the D49 'Hunt' locomotives were allocated here for Ryedale workings. For more than twenty years Class Y3, Sentinel shunter No.81 was stationed at Pickering.